Friday, April 8, 2011

Spring Mantel


 I am done my spring mantel (insert happy dance here). Making pretty much everything from scratch takes some time, but it is time well spent. One thing I DON"T like to do is spend money, and one thing I DO like to do is make stuff. I have been putting posts up as I complete my projects so I will walk you through all I made....


Here is my recycled spring sign. The only thing that cost me money on this project was the glue sticks, electricity to run the glue gun and 50 cents for the wooden scrolls. 
Click HERE for the tutorial.


Next is my bird nest with baking soda clay eggs. This cost peanuts. The nest is made out of shaved wood hair that I bought at a dollar store. I just took a clump, shaped it in a circle, flattened it out at the center, and glued a cardboard circle to the outside bottom to hold the shavings in place. I have seen better ways to make the nest on blog land, but this sufficed for me. After making two nests,  I barely made a dent in the bag of shavings so I have lots left over for other projects.
After the nests were made I glued in some home made robin eggs that I made from baking soda clay. I am all for custom making stuff to get the right size and also the right price. 
Click HERE to go the the tutorial for the baking soda clay eggs.


Then there is my darling little decoupage cardboard bunny, with the paper that inspired the colors for my mantel. 
Click HERE for the tutorial.


And then there is my Spring Color Topiary tree, made with crepe paper streamers,  using inks to custom color the streamers.
Click HERE for the tutorial. 
I originally had this topiary in a yellow basket - but I couldn't find two of them, so I covered empty peanut cans with burlap that I stamped.

I have had lots fun decorating my mantel on a dime.
Thanks for stopping by!
Linking up to 
UndertheTableandDreamingChocolate Drool and KissesTip Junkie handmade projects



lil luna link party button






15 comments:

  1. Looks terrific!! Seriously planning to try several of your crafty ideas. Just wish I had a mantel to display them on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I am in love with all the stuff you do! I think I need one of those cute bunnies! I am giving you the versitile blogger award! Head on over to my blog and get the instructions to follow! CONGRATULATIONS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for checking out my mantel from A2Z! I'm loving looking at all your stuff!

    I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely spring mantel. Especially like your egg nest with those sky blue baking soda clay creations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! Thank you for following my blog :) I am a follower to you now!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your mantle, that bunny is darling. I can't wait to see all you have to offer! I am visiting from Debbie doos and I am your newest follower, hope you will follow me back

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet mantel! Love it that Spring is here!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sue what a fantastic job you did on your mantel..I love the spring sign and the bunny is adorable. Thanks for sharing with my newbie party.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! You are so creative! Thanks for the tutorials. I especially like the sign that says SPRING! I am a new follower. I saw your link at Debbie's Newbie Party. Mine is #92. Come visit!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sue! Your mantel looks so nice! I found you from Debbie's & am now a follower! Would love for you to come over for a visit & to follow me back! Have a great week! Allison @ leomommyof4.blogspot.com :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the colors you chose! The mantle looks so sophisticated....and with such low cost, great job I have to say :)
    I came over from Debbie's party am am your newest follower (I guess?!) :)) Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Seriously, Sue! You are so clever. I especially love the sign.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loving your Spring sign! I'd love for you to come link this up at my Tuesday Time Out Linky Party! The link is below!
    Smiles,
    Melanie
    Reasons To Skip The Housework
    Tuesday Time Out Link Up Party

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love that Spring sign, wow! Stopping by from Reasons to Skip the Housework

    ReplyDelete
  15. It all looks so beautiful!

    I also wanted to let you know I awarded you the versatile blogger award you can check it out here
    http://chocolatedroolandkisses.blogspot.com/2011/04/versatile-blogger-award.html

    Crystal

    ReplyDelete